Monday, November 11, 2013

I have been not feeling to good lately....

Miss Mini, my sweet baby, has not been feeling well. She has had some problems, and sadly has now developed an issue that will take her away from us earlier than we would have thought.
She was originally diagnosed with "inflamatory bowel disease" and our vet  at the time (NO LONGER) put her on Prednisone. while I tried to keep the dose very low, and sparse, she would still relapse and the dose would go back up a little , for a short time. After  a while, she was just not doing well, and her bloodwork indicated the start of kidney disease, related to PREDNISONE. She was given AZODIL and diet modifications, the prednisone was stopped.
In a miraculous turn of events. the AZODIL, which is a simple probiotic, cured the inflamatory bowel issue (chronic upset acid=y tummy).
Unfortunately for mini, the damage to the kidneys is done.
I have been struggling to keep her eating, and over the past week, the struggle is feeling desperate. I harbor anger that most vets run to prednisone, and ultimately do more damage. My lovely little girl, so healthy all her life, is now losing her kidney function, I can look at the little face I have loved for 14 years and see that she is not feeling well. Her good days are further apart, I cook rice, and low protein canned food, to help her along, but I am realistic, and I know soon another very hard decision is coming. For many years I have told the dog-loving friends.... "when Mini goes I will NOT be OK" she is going to be the one that breaks my heart.


No comments: